Running coupon giveaways is an important marketing tactic you can utilize to gain traction and get more subscribers to use your store/product. On Subbly you are able to easily create coupons which can be afterwards redeemed by your customers at the checkout 💰
How do I create a coupon?
This is where you'll see an overview of all currently created coupons as well as be able to create a coupon by clicking on the button in the top right corner (Create New+)You'll be taken to the coupon creation wizard where you need to populate the necessary information about the coupon(s) you're creating.
Explanation of each particular field on the coupon creation wizard can be found below:
- Name - name of the coupon you will see on your Subbly admin, this is not visible to the customer.
- ID - actual string of characters the customer will use to redeem the coupon while on the checkout.
- Type - you can choose whether the coupon will apply a % discount or straight $ deduction from the grand total on the checkout.
- Duration - duration of the coupon, ie., for how many periods will it be active after it's redeemed on the checkout
- Once - it will only apply to the first purchase
- Forever - it will apply a discount for every transaction/renewal for the lifetime of the customer.
- Multiple - it will apply a discount to X number of months after customer subscribes.
Setting up Redemption Limits
Redemption limits will enable you to set the number of times coupon is going to be utilized before it eventually gets archived. You can set 2 different redemption limits for the coupon.
- Limit the date range - this is where you can set a date by when the coupon will be applicable and active. For example, if you set the date range to be 1st of May, 2022, this means that the coupon will automatically be archived beyond this date and customers won't be able to redeem it on the checkout going forward.
- Limit the total number of times the coupon can be redeemed - this enables you to quantify the number of times the coupon can be redeemed in total.
Setting up Advanced Limits
Advanced limits will make it possible for you to set additional limitations to coupons. For example, if specific email/customer will be able to use the coupon at the checkout or on which product's checkouts will the coupons be applicable.
- Limit coupon once per customer - if enabled, it will make it impossible for the same customer to use the same coupon more than once on the checkout for any product.
- Limit product(s) - you can select the products from the drop down (you will be able to choose only among the active/published products) to which the coupon will be applicable to. Keeping this disabled will make the coupon applicable to all products ❗
- Limit cart items - you are able to select the specific line items of the customer's order that will get the coupon discount applied to them.
- Limit to specific customer - you can select from the pool of active customers if you'd want to limit the further coupon usage for one of the customers.
Example here would be if someone was gaming the system and taking advantage of your coupons to constantly:
- Subscribe using the coupon and get a discount
- Immediately cancel the subscription
- Sign up again using the same coupon
You can then limit the coupon usage and blacklist the customer in question so he/she is no longer available of doing one such thing 😉
- Limit for future customer (by email) - a very useful one if you're having people gaming the system in a similar way as explained above so you can blacklist future signups from using the coupon by blacklisting their email address 💀
How to apply coupon to an existing customer's subscription?
If, at some point, you want to apply the coupon to the existing customer's subscription or the customer simply forgot to redeem the coupon when on the checkout, you are also able to do that from inside Customers tab.
From here, you'll need to locate the customer for whom you'd want to apply the coupon. Once inside the customer profile, make sure to navigate to the Subscriptions section, click on the three dots and choose to Apply Coupon as in the picture below.
This will then bring the contextual menu that will prompt you to choose the coupon from the pool of currently active coupons.
After you choose the coupon from the drop-down, make sure to click on Select coupon 😎
Coupon will be applied to customer's subscription going forward!
Can coupons be applicable to one-time products as well?
Yes, they can 😊
Can I limit coupon usage per product?
Yes, you are able to do that by setting up the advanced limits for your coupons as explained in the section above ☝
My coupons are not working on the checkout..
Please make sure that customer is using the correct coupon ID and that he/she is applying it in the appropriate field on the checkout as in the picture below.
How to auto-apply coupons to the product checkouts?
If you're looking to auto-apply coupon to the checkout URL, so customer won't even have to redeem it (as it will be automatically redeemed already), you can do that by simply adding ?coupon=coupon_id to the end of the checkout URL for the product 😉
Make sure to replace the coupon_id value with the actual coupon ID of the coupon you'd want to add. So the checkout URL for the product should look something like the following:
Any further questions about this feature or about any other feature on Subbly? Please let us know on chat! 💬